Review: Dark Protector by Celia Aaron

Dark Protector by Celia Aaron

Standalone
Publication Date: February 25th, 2017
Genres: Dark, Romantic Suspense
Length: 346 pages
From the author of Blackwood comes a new mafia romance.

From the moment I saw her through the window of her flower shop, something other than darkness took root inside me. Charlie shone like a beacon in a world that had long since lost any light. But she was never meant for me, a man that killed without remorse and collected bounties drenched in blood.
I thought staying away would keep her safe, would shield her from me. I was wrong. Danger followed in my wake like death at a slaughter house. I protected her from the threats that circled like black buzzards, kept her safe with kill after kill.
But everything comes with a price, especially second chances for a man like me.
Killing for her was easy. It was living for her that turned out to be the hard part.

Author's Note: This is a full-length romance novel. It's not a super-dark read, no trigger warning. Explicit violence and hot sex included. HEA, no cheating.


MY REVIEW

Celia Aaron quickly became my one-click author. She always wrote intriguing story with spices. Nonetheless this latest release, Dark Protector, really intrigued me. It has mafia theme, anti-hero, bad-ass heroine, suspense and of course, romance.

Charlie's life was upside down from a florist then a witness. She was kidnapped and tortured by unknown people. Conrad Mercer is a hit-man for his entire life. He works for the bad guys aka mafia. When his secret crush has been taken away, Conrad will kill for her.

The plot was predictable yet fascinating. Stalker guy and the ordinary girl? Same old story. But hold your judgment first. This one has different vibe. Conrad maybe like your usual stalker anti-hero. He's deadly and calculate. Who knows a vicious man like him could harbor a certain kind of love towards a flower girl?

Every life I took, every decision I made—they were all leading me to her. She was a reward I didn’t earn, a gift I didn’t deserve. But like the selfish bastard I was, I would take everything she offered. Each touch bound me to her.

Also Charlie isn't your typical weak heroine. She hide something from her dark past and no one knows. At first, Charlie was terrified because she's clearly in shock and have no idea WTF is going on. Slowly she began to show the real "Charlie". A survivor and bad-ass woman.

While Conrad and Charlie on the run of being target by the mafia, they started to form a connection. Conrad already in lust with her. But for Charlie, he's a killer also her protector. It confuses her and wasn't easy for Charlie but somehow Conrad managed to convince her.

I don’t deserve you.” He kissed my hair. “But it doesn’t matter. I’ll kill to keep you in my arms where you belong.”
I sighed as sleep tugged me down. “You make murder sound more romantic than it should.”

They began to build trust with sharing their dark past. It called insta-love. Unbelievable, right? The chemistry was too rushed but I enjoyed their sex scenes. Yum! They're insanely HOT together even without chemistry. So dirty but yet so sweet.

Of course, they aren't easily ride off into the sunset. Conrad must finish what he started to begin his new page. Charlie isn't a kind of woman who will stand down. The story was too dragging for my taste and take too long. However, it's nicely written and well-balanced between romance and suspense. Overall, Dark Protector is still an enjoyable read despite my issues with the chemistry and insta-love. Still recommend for y'all thrill seekers.


...his mouth telling me that he would always find me, protect me, and most of all—live for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment